04 November 2005

Student Strike

It's November, and you know what that means... time for things to start going downhill at the high school. Consider what happened this past Monday. In one of my classes, about 90% of the students (including all the girls) quit on me with 10 minutes to go. There I was, finishing a fun game and starting to explain the last writing exercise, when these students just came up and handed in their unfinished worksheet, went back to their desks and started talking to each other. The main teacher and I tried in vain to get them to get their worksheets and do the last part, but to no avail. They just ignored us. So the last 10 minutes of the class were taught to only 3 students. I've never heard of anything like that happening before.

I mean, these were not just the usual troublemakers I'm talking about here. As a matter of fact, this was usually a well-behaved class. So it's shocking that 90% just quit on me like that. It couldn't have been the lesson, either; I've used that lesson for 2 weeks in other classes, with relative success. I guess it's just time for things to go wrong. I knew the relatively great year I was having here couldn't last that long.

3 comments:

  1. That's just wrong, until I just remembered senior slump day where like 90% of us ditched class one day, so...uh...well, can't be helped I guess, hehe. That does suck though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember me? This is Takashi and Kaori and Sarah in Japan. Takashi say, I met you in Alabama. I hope you will remember me. I heard you stay in Osaka. I also stay in Osaka for about 7 years old. If you have time, please tell me. I want to meet you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takashi! Kaori! Sarah! Of course I remember you! Write me an email sometime. My address is hermangunn AT gmail.com. (Replace "AT" with "@".)

    ReplyDelete