21 November 2005

Needin' A Fresh Cut

Perhaps all foreign men in Japan have it a bit tough every now and then. But only black men stress about where they can find a barber shop to cut their hair. You see, most foreigners have hair not too much unlike Japanese - in other words, straight. A person used to cutting straight hair just doesn't know how to cut a black man's hair. Yes, they can learn fairly easy. But how many barbers in Japan have had the opportunity to learn how to cut a black man's hair? Right.

Lately, my hair has been a mess. I've been searching on the internet, trying to find a barber shop around Osaka that can cut a black man's hair. The best I could do was find a place in Tokyo and another in Yokohama. But I'm not about to travel 3 hours and pay 40,000 yen ($400) return just to get a haircut.

I do have my own hair clippers, and I can cut my hair well enough so that it looks okay. But lately, I haven't had much time to. Besides, there's nothing quite like the feeling of hopping in that chair and letting a barber do his thing. Ah well... I'll just wait until I'm in Florida in December.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Herman, this is Shane from Tuscaloosa. We need your address to send you a letter about the Alumni Reunion. Email me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Herman...I'm still waiting on an email from you with that address. And we want the GF to come as well. Write me at bamaxa@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herman! Sounds nightmarish, man. I'd hate to not be able to get a good cut. But hey, if you're desperate enough, 40k yen doesn't sound too bad.

    -Mick

    ReplyDelete