29 September 2005

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye...

I was walking back from the restroom at my company's office, heading back to my desk when all of a sudden, I meet with our receptionist, who tells me that this week would be her last week working for us. Since I'm working at the high school tomorrow, that meant that today was the last time to ever see her, which made me sad. You see, this woman is very kind and friendly, and in a frustrating environment, many times she cheered me up with her smile and great attitude. It's going to be hard to replace someone like her.

Later on, while I'm clocking out, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to say goodbye to her. I'm terrible at goodbyes in English; I didn't know how I was going to pull off a good one in Japanese. The best I could think of was iroiro arigatou gozaimashita (Thank you for everything). Apparently that did the trick, because as I waved goodbye for the last time, tears started rolling down her face. Oh great, I thought. I made the woman cry in front of her co-workers. Way to go. The moral of the story: Even a few kind words can make someone's day.

1 comment: