09 September 2005

Between Some Crap and a Hard Place

When I'm not teaching at high school, I'm working at my outsourcing company's office 2 days a week as the human resources/recruiting head. Although it is sooooo tempting to talk about my experiences here on my blog, I won't, because my job is considered a "management" role (even though I certainly don't get paid like it). There's a lot of trust involved, and I've worked hard to establish that, so I'm not going to undermine that.

That said, I've been frustrated lately at the office. Don't get me wrong - I love my job (not as much as teaching, but nevertheless). My frustrations have nothing to do with my duties. I'm frustrated about other happenings in the office. Without going into detail, there's been some friction, some schisms, and just plain not seeing eye-to-eye. You might think, "Herman, if this has nothing to do with you, then why are you letting those things get to you?" Well, you know... I'm in an HR role. I wonder if the problems I'm talking about are not as serious as I think or if they are. I wonder if I'm supposed to step in and try to smooth things out as much as I can, or just sit back, do my specified duties and hope it all goes away. That's the frustrating thing. If I can do something about it, I want to, but I don't know if I can or can't.

You know, I'm probably just overreacting. After all, no office can be a utopia. Yeah, you're right... I probably shouldn't let it get to me. Actually, I feel better already. Someone once told me that we have to vent every once in a while to clear our heads. Writing's my way of venting. So if you were completely put off by this post, I'm sorry. But take pride in knowing that you helped me feel a lot better.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. If anything, each person goes through these things every once in a while. I know for a fact that I vent a LOT in the office, too much in fact. But, I also know that the source of my frustration is merely the result of the business we're in. It's safe to say that everyone probably feels the same way. In any case, I'll keep my ventings to a minimum and avoid any potential T.O meltdowns. Besides, there's no way I could pull off the working out on his front yard, being surrounded by reporters routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit a good point... the business we're in does cause some frustration from time to time. It was probably just my turn to go through it. Yeah, I'll keep my ventings down as well. Besides, reading your T.O. quote there makes me feel a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I've been surprised at how calm and patient you are at the office. It was actually kind of worrying that you hadn't really expressed your frustruations. In fact, I think you need to let off a bit more steam. Go throw some office equipment off of the roof- I promise it will make you feel better (just make sure that you look below before you toss it, or you could cause someone a bad day).

    Venting is good. The situation in the office has been hectic, but don't let it get you down- just remember that we're all suffering together (but you're suffering a bit more- this means that you've got more street cred- respect)! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha... Thanks a lot, man. Now I have that "Office Space" scene running through my head over and over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I found that scene really disturbing. It made me cry the first time I saw it because of what it represented. Then I took responsibility for a photcopier in a busy law office for more than a couple of years. Sometimes machines (and people) suck all the niceness (or patience) right out of you.

    I too work out a lot of frustration in writing, if I actually think to do it.

    ReplyDelete