13 July 2008

Why the Small Face?

As I (probably) mentioned earlier in this blog, this academic year I'm working two days a week at a prestigious junior high school located south of Osaka city. The kids there are very enthusiastic about learning, especially the girls. When they see me in the hallways, a lot of the girls try their best to speak to me in English.

However, some of those same girls have told me something I find peculiar:

"Your face is so small!"

You know, I don't know how to take that. That is something I never heard back in the U.S. Is it good or is it bad that my face is small?

INSTANT EDIT: Just a few seconds ago, while writing this post, my wife told me that in Japan, a small face is good. So I guess I can take that as a compliment.

However, it is another episode where I hear something I wouldn't hear back in the U.S. The learning, the experiences, they never stop, even after more than five years here.

No comments:

Post a Comment