25 August 2005

They're letting you teach my son?



This picture is from an article in my high school's newsletter that describes my adventures with PTA members on July 1. In case you can't tell, that's me standing, and I'm not doing shadow puppets... I'm holding up a flash card. The text at the top reads eigo sawakai (English tea party). Using my limited Japanese translation skills (and a good dictionary), this is what the short article says:


This year, for the second straight year, we got together with Mr. Herman and had a tea party. We played an easy English word game, among other things. We had a great time!

Pfhhhhh.... You better had had a good time, with all the work I put in for you, you ungrateful people! Nah, just kidding - it was fun.

I gotta tell you though... teaching 15- and 17- year olds, that's one thing. That doesn't bother me at all. But conducting a fun English game for their parents - almost all of whom are twice my age, don't give a hoot about English, and are surely looking to see if their kids are getting their money's worth from me - that makes me very nervous. I'm surprised nobody noticed how much I was shaking. But hey... if they thought I had a good time, then I must have done a good job, huh? Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment