13 August 2006

Breakin' A Sweat

For me, there's nothing I like better about Japanese culture than the bathing culture. Onsens, sentos... they're all good. That was confirmed once again yesterday, when I went with my GF to a nearby super sento, or lavish public bath facility.

This place was good. They had clean, spic-and-span bathing areas. They had an outside bath with a big screen TV, where all the men had crowded around to watch the national high school baseball championships. I don't like baseball all that much, but I joined in for a few minutes.

Besides just bathing, I also had a very good (but expensive) massage. It lasted only 20 minutes, but I still feel the benefits of it. My GF had some kind of face massage as well.

However, the highlight of our trip (actually, the lowlight for me) was a "sweat sauna". You just go into this hot room, wearing this special bathrobe, lay down and sweat heavily for about 35 minutes. I guess you're supposed to feel good after sweating all kinds of garbage out of your system, but I just felt... well... sweaty. Didn't feel good at all. That was money down the drain for me, but my GF just loved it. I guess that means we're going back, huh?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Herman this is Steven mom gave us your blog address! Hope all is well, love ya Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Herman! The sweat sauna sounds kind of like the sauna at the Rec (without the special bathrobes, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Herman,just got a look at your site. I'm gonna research on this "BLOGGER" thing. I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, I've enjoyed your most resent writings. I'll take time and start from the beginning though. You really look great. I plan to experience a little of JAPAN through your eyes. So far I Like. Oh yeah, this is Jueletha (Lee-Lee), your second cousin.I'm putting this in my favorites and I'll be checking on you. Take care, Love Jue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lee-Lee! Long time no hear! What a surprise. How are things? Let's keep in touch, even if it's through this blog, okay?

    ReplyDelete