21 January 2005

OK, so elementary school wasn't that bad...

Yesterday I finished my short assignment at that elementary school near Kobe that I told all of you about. Despite all my problems while I was there, it ended on a pretty good note, I must say.

All of the students (even the bad ones) were a little sad that I wouldn't be back. To my astonishment, they had come to enjoy the English games that I used in the lesson. Many students took time after the last lesson to tell me thank you very much. That meant a lot to me. One class even gave me a binder with thank-you letters in English from every student in the class. Here are some excerpts, and forgive me - I didn't correct their English:

-"I was very grateful to you for teaching English, although a short time."

-"I couldn't speak English, but I could understand it little by little, studying with you. I want to study English very hard in junior high school."

-"I have been learning English but I could not study home work at all. But I can do it, thanks to Mr. Herman."

-"I like sports, especially basketball. You are very tall, I want to play basketball with you if I have a chance."
(Herman's comments: I think to any 12-year-old, I'm pretty tall, don't you think? Still, very cool letter.)
Amazing, huh? I guess my time there was kind of effective, even though I didn't think so most of the time. In hindsight, things weren't so bad, I suppose. I'd probably do it again.... maybe.

1 comment: